Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Produce Update

I started making lists a couple of days ago of what is growing and what is currently producing in the garden at present. It was a bit all over the place on paper, so hopefully this will be more succinct and help me get my head around where I am up to and what to do next.

Things we are currently eating from the garden
  • pumpkins- a huge mound on the veranda to get through and give away
  • potatoes- a few weeks left, haven't bought any for months
  • 2 tomatoes left!
  • leeks
  • lettuce and rocket- enough for a couple of salads a week
  • stir-fry greens
  • silverbeet and Tuscan kale
  • beetroot
  • rhubarb
  • sugar-snap peas
  • carrots
  • parsnips
  • zucchini- the romanesco zucchini I planted late are holding on well and still producing nice, crisp little courgettes
  • English spinach
  • the usual perennial herbs eg. rosemary, sage, lemongrass,chives, mint etc
  • annual herbs- parsley, corriander
Things growing in the garden that are not yet producing
  • spring onions
  • curly leaf kale
  • broccoli and green sprouting broccoli
  • cabbage
  • broad beans (aquadulce and crimson)- have seen one flower
  • podding peas
  • garlic
  • celery
  • plus perrenials like strawberries, artichoke, asparagus etc
Things that need to be done this week (hopefully)
  • reseed some of the podding peas as the birds have somehow got through the mesh and eaten them in the ground!!!
  • remove capsicums and eggplants and replace with onions
  • measure up beds outside veg patch so I can let Ian know how big I want the posts to go around them (don't think that will happen for a while)
  • work out way of eliminating weeds from the path- maybe boiling water (sorry worms) and bags of sawdust?
  • take photos of garden to at least make the blog look interesting!!
If I get those done I can start working on some of the outside beds. Here is Lyssie and the 'Boys', not long after shearing. They are right next to the house, so as I hang out washing the kids wander over and talk to them. You have to be careful not to get too close as one gave Emme a nip on the fingers a few weeks ago!

1 comment:

granny said...

Gee you have been busy in the garden!I have afew things picking at the moment,peas,turnips,parsnips and kale.I picked one whole pumpkin this year!lol,planted too late!So I envy your pile!Im guessing you still havent had much rain,going by the photo,we have had heaps,actually too much,alot of crops lost.Never a happy medium.Hope you are having a great week so far :0)