Monday, September 15, 2008

Windy Weekend

I look foward to the weekend all week long so Ian can look after the girls and I can get out into the garden, but is was so windy last weekend it was a mission not to get blown away feeding the chooks, so not a lot of gardening was done at all. It did give me some time to do some cooking which was nice.

For lunch on Sunday I made rosemary and Parmesan foccacia that I found the inspiration from here and a simple broccoli soup to help with the great broccoli glut. I always thought that broccoli soup was quite bland, but have discovered if you use good home made chicken stock and stir through very finely shaved parmesan that the end, it is actually really yummy.


I finally had time to make a beetoot and apple relish. It makes a great replacement for plain old beetroot in any sandwich or wrap.

Beetroot and Apple Relish

900g beetroot, peeled and grated
400g apples, peeled and grated
1 large red onion finely chopped
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup red wine vinegar
pinch of dries chilli if you like a bit of a kick in it (Ido)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything in a large heavy pot. Slowly bring to the boil, stirring every couple of minutes. Cook on moderate heat for a about 45 mins or until reduces and a nice syrupy consistency. Carefully fill and seal prepared bottles. Mmmm yum.

No comments: